b. Reaction is our responsibility

In “Fruits of the Spirit,” subsection iii, I mentioned my friend Scott’s dad, and how he handled his Alzheimer’s Disease. His faith and testimony are part of what I mean by overcoming this obstacle. So is the need to help those who are sick by loving and comforting them more than they might need if they were healthy.

It’s not the whole picture, though. I’m legally blind. I have a responsibility not to drive. Very bad things would happen if I did. However, I have always been able to laugh about what those bad things might be, and enjoy life despite my handicap. I have never had a problem with that limit, partly because people always picked me up and drove me places when I needed, partly because I knew I could do other things. I’ve always loved reading, and creating, even if those creations were only on the Internet.

Another part of this is realizing that a condition doesn’t give one the right to sin – such as a blind person driving and wrecking the neighborhood with a car. Too much is made of rights, anyway. If I had perfect vision, I still wouldn’t have a right to drive no matter what. I’d have the privilege of driving. These may be taken away.

In the same way, the Lord Jesus healed a man possessed by demons once. The narrative begins in Luke 8:26, as well as being mentioned by Matthew and Mark. Now, often severe illnesses are caused by some chemical imbalance, but this man was clearly possessed, as can happen if a person dabbles in that too much. He lived in among the many tombs outside the city.

Before he’d fled out there, though, people had tried to chain and shackle him, and he’d broken every one of those bonds. At the end of the narrative, he is finally “clothed, and in his right mind.” (Luke 8:35) However, he did not have the right to endanger others before; he needed to be bound for the safety of himself and others. And, of course, even that didn’t help him. He once again had the privilege to, after he was well.

We can’t look at life and think that everything is a God-given right. In fact, unless God promises it, with no strings attached, it’s a privilege and can be taken away. Going to Heaven is such a right if you’ve trusted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. However, some blessings and rewards depend on how close we are to Christ.

Other environmental factors, like what we’ll mention next, may be more of a problem. However, even if it’s just a younger sibling with the flu who you nurse back to health because you’ve got parents or guardians working 15-hour days, the important thing is, those who are sick need your love and support. And, they can’t always do the things they could if healthy. Meaning, you have to pick up the slack some.